A soft, tender, moist, delicious banana bread that has no sugar and no oil or butter?! Yep, you heard that right. I made this peanut butter banana bread last week and it was gone the same day; did I finish it myself? Perhaps….. But isn’t that just a testament to how amazingly good this bread is? And isn’t eating a whole loaf of healthy banana bread better than eating, I don’t know, a whole loaf of some unhealthy bread? Not to say that I haven’t also done that… but shh! Today we’re talking about guilt-free deliciousness!
But honestly, this bread is delish. I had my mom bring it to our gym, and by the time I got there about half an hour later for a later class, it was completely gone! Trust me, you’re gonna have to hide some of this bread if you want any left for yourself.
This recipe uses quite a number of liquid ingredients to create an incredibly moist bread. I’ve tried many healthy banana bread recipes in the past and, although they usually taste all right, they never measure up to the moistness of a classic, sugar-and-oil-packed recipe. The bananas, fat-free Greek yogurt, applesauce and honey in this recipe all contribute to an unbelievably moist bread.
I use white whole wheat flour, which gives us the healthiness of whole wheat flour but provides a bit more lift and doesn’t create as dense a loaf as regular whole wheat flour. If you don’t have white whole wheat flour, you can use equal parts all-purpose and whole wheat flour.
Do not overbake this bread! Once you get to around the 45 minute mark, watch and test the bread with a toothpick every minute or so. We want to preserve the moistness, and even when you take the bread out and leave it in the pan for 10 minutes to cool, the bread will continue to bake. I hope you love this bread as much as I do!
- 3 medium very ripe bananas (brown spots are ideal)
- 1/3 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 6 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Place the bananas in a medium bowl and, using a fork, mash them up until they are uniformly mashed without large lumps.
- Add the Greek yogurt, peanut butter, applesauce and honey and whisk until combined.
- Add the egg and whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and cinnamon.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir carefully until just combined. The less you handle the batter, the more tender the bread will be.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few crumbs and no batter.
- Allow the bread to cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Dig in! (FYI–the flavor gets even better the next day!)
Click here to print this recipe!