While I like a delicious, sugary dessert as much as the next person, for breakfast I usually prefer something that doesn’t feel like it’s going to weigh me down for the rest of the day. But I never want to sacrifice flavor!! That’s why I came up with these delicious and healthy banana chocolate chip muffins. Ooh and another plus–they’re easy and quick!
These muffins have no refined sugar, no oil or butter, and are whole wheat. Ripe bananas, maple syrup and a few mini chocolate chips give them their delicious flavor! Use bananas with many brown spots on them for the best flavor. Do not overmix the batter when folding the flour into the wet ingredients, or the result will be a tough muffin. Fold in the flour veeeery carefully to preserve the delicacy of the batter!
In order to get the best muffin tops (the best part of the muffin, right?!), I fill the muffin tins all the way up to the top with batter. In addition, I start out baking the muffins at a high temperature to make the tops rise higher, before reducing the temperature for the rest of the bake. I hope you enjoy these muffins as much as I do!
- 2 large, ripe mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 large egg (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (280g) white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a muffin pan with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, maple syrup and greek yogurt.
- Add the egg and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Carefully fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Carefully fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin cup up to the top with batter.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out with just a few crumbs and no batter.
Breakfast tomorrow is gonna be good..!
Click here to print this recipe!